Workshops in Puerto Rico's Cultural History
Educational keynotes and workshops serve the general public as well as the
corporate sector, academic programs, seminars, conferences, associations, and
special groups with goals beyond performance arts -- including
team building, and diversity and cultural competence education in
Hispanic/Latino, Afro-Latino, Caribbean-Native cultures. Topics include:
- The History of Puerto Rico through Music and Dance -
educational and entertaining talk traces the
history of Puerto Rico that developed rich cultural traditions
and its people, beginning with the Taino legacy that is Puerto Rico's
primera raiz (first root) to our Bomba, Plena, Seis, and Danza.
Features video clips of music and dance traditions
based in native Taino, Spanish, and West African heritage.
Presentation includes live native Taino music, original compositions on
bone and earth clay flutes. Participation in Puerto Rican dance upon request!
- Puerto Rico's Taino Heritage -
educational talks take the audience beyond cultural pride. Dr. Maynard is Taino by blood, Tekina-Suania (teacher of Taino traditions in the Americas), and a consecrated Elder for her Taino community, the Pueblo of Guatu Ma-cu in the mountains of Boriken (Puerto Rico). Presentations include:
- Taino 101: History, Myth and Reality -
Tekina-eiru brings visibility to the restoration efforts of her people through
her lecture series
that takes the audience through Taino history of Boriken, as documented by
the Chronicles of Pane, Las Casas, and others, supplemented with oral history.
Results of NSF Research in mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) that is rewriting Taino
history is shared, and traditions being rescued, restored, and preserved by
her pueblo of Guatu Ma-cu A Boriken are presented.
Lecture features live Taino music, original compositions on
bone and earth clay flutes.
- When Nature Sings: A Taino Journey -
Inspirational talks and interactive workshops
combine inspirational anecdotes based in Taino spirituality,
original photography, and live Taino flute music (original compositions) to share nature's wisdom.
Uplifting participation in music-making and role playing shares insights, encourages
meaningful discussion, and provides "tools" to take home that can be used in everyday life.
- The Rich History of Puerto Rico - educational and entertaining
talks bring awareness of often-forgotten elements from Puerto Rico's rich history.
Topics include but are not limited to:
- Puerto Rican History - From Taino to West Side Story
- The History of Slave Rebellion in Puerto Rico
- The Pirate Cofresi, Puerto Rico's Robin Hood
- Vaqueros (Cowboys) of Puerto Rico and contribution of the horse
- Casa Pueblo - the common people really can change the world
- Women's contribution to Garment Industry Labor Movement
- Baseball History, the known and unsung heroes
- Hurricane History in Puerto Rico
- Peleas De Gallos
- Parrandas, a sunset to sunrise tradition!
- Comparitive study - Baquine (Loiza) and Velorio de Angelitos (Jibaro)
- British Invasion of 1797
- History from 16th to Early 19th Century
- Abolition of Slavery
- Coffee in Puerto Rico
- Birth of our Flag
- 1950s Great Migration
- Santiago Apostol and the Vejigante
- Society & Culture of our West African Roots
- Celestine Cordero, Defender of the Children
Contact us to request a keynote talk or custom workshop.
Dr. Ana María Tekina-eirú Maynard
|+1 512 251 8122
|Dr. Ana María Tekina-eirú Maynard
15228 Quiet Pond Court
Austin, TX 78728-4555
Copyright ©1995-2022 Flametree Corporation. All rights reserved.